Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Year 2 CERA. Post Quake Christchurch, Red Zone Mosquitoes

Red Zone Mosquitoes focus. Thurs 12.04.12. Late January, one morning I awoke with a nasty bite. I though a white tail spider had bitten my left ear, giving me a thick ear, red, swollen, itchy. The bite took weeks to heal. It also caused the left side of my face to redden, swelling, with red, blotchy, lumpy skin, left side of my face & neck. I had a stiff neck & shoulder for 2 weeks. Also had a sore throat, hard to swallow, for about a week.

I'd trekked Christchurch E suburbs, snapping, lots of stagnant water there. Had foul water I'd trekked past anything to do with the bite?

I went to my GP, who prescribed an antibiotic for the bite.

04.04.12. The Press  published an article on the striped mosquito, Aedes notoscriptus. That's what bit me!

During quake times there was lots more stagnant water around Christchurch, due to broken, leaky sewage, water & storm water pipes & drains. Waterlogged, stricken, red zone, eastern suburbs, by rivers, wetlands & estuary & liquefactioned, red zone CBD were ideal places for mosquitoes to breed.

Thurs 12.04.12. Luke woke up with a mosquito bite on his right hand, which swelled up, red, blotchy, lumpy, itchy. He could hardly breath, his throat swollen, windpipe constricted. Leah drove to a pharmacy for antihistamines, which sorted out that problem. Luke took a day off work.

Having lived in Christchurch since 1995, it was the first time mosquitoes affected us. It was caused by stagnant water lying around quaking Christchurch. There was lots of new ponding, like on Travis Rd, by Travis Wetland, where land sunk during quakes.

12.04.12. While writing this post, midday, M4.6 quake, 10km depth, 10km NE of Christchurch. (GeoNet). Rumbled by, shook our house.

Copyright Mark JS Esslemont.

See Pesky mosquito invasion creates bad buzz (The Press / Stuff Co).

No comments:

Post a Comment